Today we were lucky to have Tracey Humphrey, founder and chair of BCEdAccess, talk to us about equitable education, and how technology can help inclusion.

“We all have different identities that we bring to the table. We all offer different things and this is what makes us unique.” – Tracey Humphrey

Tracey spoke about her and her children’s experiences with ASD in general and within the school system. I love this statement that Tracey said because I think that diversity is what makes us all special. I have had the opportunity to work with students on the spectrum and I have learned so much from them.

Below is the amazing story of Damon Kirsebom, who can speak through the use of technology.

Damon Kirsebom, “When People See Me Typing”

As Damon says, his story is not unique. Many people use technology to help them.

As a future teacher, it is important to keep inclusive education in mind. Tracey gave us a few ideas for fostering inclusion in the classroom:

• Read IEPs
  • Connect with family
  • Connect with student
  • Advocate for good, recent technology
  • Advocate for technology support
  • Talk about diversity

I love that Tracey said that relationships and connections are THE most important thing. I think that teacher-student relationships are crucial to meaningful learning, and fostering belonging in the classroom.