Genius Hour Lesson Plan – Persuasive Instagram Book Accounts

For EDCI 338, Anna Serdyukova, Zoe Jacobson, and I created a lesson for Grade 5 students to create ‘Instagram’ accounts (on Google Slides) that share and showcase a book of their choosing. The learning intentions for this lesson are to have students write persuasively and share their book with peers and others in an attempt to persuade them to read their book!

Here is the link to the Google Drive containing our lesson plan, example and template, and video explaining everything!

Persuasive Instagram Book Accounts Lesson

1. cwheeler

Hi Kathryn, Anna, and Zoe!
    Wow, what a great idea! I love how the Instagram account not only allows students to become more invested in the book and thinking deeper about the story, but it also allows other readers to get hooked and develop an interest for what they may want to read next. I think that showcasing books for other readers is really important and I think this is a great way to do it. I wonder if students would struggle finding the line between enticing others to read the book and giving away key plot points? Would other students feel they wouldn’t need to read the book anymore if certain things have been spoiled?

2. misterbondy

Thanks for sharing your lesson plan and materials, I really enjoyed reading it. I like your included examples of how students can put together a fictional Instagram account as part of their character studies. I also like how you included assistive technology, such as voice to text, to help student compose their Instagrams and comments. Something I might include with the lesson several examples of both powerful and not-so powerful comments as this would allow students opportunities to examine and improve what these comments look and sound like. This looks great and I appreciate all the work you’ve put into this lesson!